Wednesday 15 July 2009

Day Time TV

Today was one of the first mornings I've had not working on Hertbeat related stuff, and I can safely say that already I missed not going into the studios to work on a variety of different things. Although I didn't emerge from bed until a massively unsociable hour, even that had it's draw backs. I had stuff to get done and getting out of bed rather late messed up my day.



On top of this, a further drawback of having a morning off is that I was stuck with the joy of day time TV. Now, don't get me wrong, for the past three years, I've lived off a horrendous diet of programmes selling homes or people prize possessions at auction. Some of the things I see and hear on these shows drive me mad, particularly the awful puns. But this morning I think I witnessed the crowning glory of naivety.



Cash in the attic - The show format is simple, find some items of value in your house and flog it at an auction house (usually Chiswick, I presume it's convenient for the BBC) to fund a dream event or investment which nearly always amounts to £1000. This morning, the choice of event came from a daughter (or Granddaughter, my full attention was elsewhere) who decided to take her parents/grandparents for a weekend away to visit a stately home as a thank you for supporting her through drama school. Nice sentiment you think, and to be honest everyone seemed to think so to. Apart from the simple fact that the trip was financed entirely from the sale of the parents/ grandparents possessions!! That has to be the worst gift ever! "Here, you go as a thank you for all the money you've wasted in my drama school (Seriously, to add insult to injury, the programme highlighted that the girl had no skill in front of a camera) I'm going to take you for a weekend away. By the way, do you mind if you sell some of your possessions so I can pay for the trip?" Mental



In other news, tomorrow I start driving lessons, Brett Harley, the Hertbeat morning presenter, thinks I look like a caveman and swine flu is coming to get us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment