Monday 13 July 2009

The adventures of the Apprentice continue


It's only been a week since I started the Apprenticeship, but as Steve Folland continues to refer to it, tonight, it starts in earnest. Yeah, I'm not sure I know what he means either. Anyhow, tonight is the first ever airing of Carl's Evening Bit (insert fanfare here). It's my job to play the best new music, pick a record of the week, play you the best bits from my album of the week, and uncover the best local music for the good people listening. And I'll cram in the occasional other random feature here and there for good measure. Tonight sees the introduction of that's a first - want to know more - make sure your listening tonight then between 8pm and 10pm.


The other brilliant thing about this Apprentice steely, is the draw dropping revelations Steve keeps throwing my way. As well as the show, I will be undertaking a series of challenges for the Breakfast team. The first, although a long term one, is learning to drive with the help of Hertbeat. Seriously, I am surprised I didn't actually bruise my chin as it dropped to the desk when Steve informed he live on air. I swear he's going to start growing a big white beard and where a bright red suit if he keeps giving me these amazing opportunities. Keep up to speed, with my driving exploits on the Breakfast show. I'm not the best student in the world, so hilarious consequences should ensue...


Speaking of mental stuff, I went out with my Girlfriend for a meal yesterday evening. Lovely meal, lovely company and over all it was a pleasant evening. However, to accompany our meal we'd ordered a bottle of water (I know, I live wildly) that we were pacing ourselves with, mainly due to a cash flow issue (i.e. I don't have any money flowing in, hence the problem). Part way through the meal, a waiter (ironically poor choice of job title in this case) came over and poured the remainder of the bottle into our glasses. What on earth!!! It would have been our third glass from the bottle so we'd clearly mastered the pouring side of things, but still he felt the need to 'assist.' I know they probably wanted us to buy more drinks, so they make more money, I understand this is how a business has to work. However when we had clearly finished our meal, we waited 30 minutes, and at no point were we offered the bill. I refuse to sit clicking my fingers for the bill as one its rude; and two I'm not American. So essentially it would appear that restaurants can dictate how much they want you to spend. Which is fair enough really, but next to window writing saying "All you can eat" should also be written "All you can spend...please?"

No comments:

Post a Comment